I, Cashlin Snow of The Libertas League (TLL), am producing an audio drama of my short story The Presence at the Piano. If you're interested to voice act, please read the info below and then send in some audition lines. I can't wait to hear them!
The information below is also on the host website here: [link]
What is The Presence at the Piano?
This is a short story I wrote about a Goth teenage girl named Kimona Hart who moves into an old Georgian Colonial (early 18th century) house her family has owned for hundreds of years. While living in the house, at the same time every night, the old grand piano in the piano room downstairs plays. Kimona decides to check out why this is and uncovers a cursed mystery surrounding her family and an ancestor who fought in the American Revolutionary War.
Genres: Romance / mystery / drama / magic / history
Rating: Age 12+ for violence and dark themes
Fiction Story Opening Paragraph:
There stood atop a grassy, rather steeply-inclined hill, a large two-story square structure of moss-ridden, gray brick, beckoning with an oak door, leaning down with roofing that nodded to the typical peasant nobility class of early America, namely that of the Thirteen Colonies. The house was of the Georgian style that had become so popular in the mid-eighteenth century, with a few accents to boast to its modest frame. It displayed a first story of five windows across the front, the center window being built into the door, complete with shutters, four windows on the second floor, and a red brick chimney at each end. A century or so ago, those who had lived in the house had built a second-story balcony for their leisure, but this was the largest renovation the house had ever experienced.
Where's the story?
- Read The Presence at the Piano on FictionPress (and comment please!) --> [link]
- Read the audio-ready script (WIP!) --> [link]
Is this going to be one of those cool audio pieces with Foley?
Yes. I will be recording whatever Foley I need or using Public Domain or Royalty Free sounds from places like freesound.org. I will alter them as preferred. I will also be requesting permission to use a few lovely piano tracks from talented musicians on Newgrounds for the piano-playing scenes.
How do I Audition?
Open the audio-ready script and choose some lines from any character you are interested in. Before sending in lines, check the character profiles below to see what interests you. There are only 5 characters though you may audition for any of them you are interested in.
- Record your line, or lines, with whatever software you like. Choose whichever lines you want from the audio script linked above. But please at least try 1 line.
- Save the lines in a slightly or not compressed audio file. MP3 or WAV only. I will not even bother opening other files or contacting you to correct the format if they are not in the specified formats.
- Email the file(s) to T L L [[[[[at]]]]] t h e libertasleague [[[[[dot]]]]] COM.
- State who you are auditioning for. Please also follow this file naming convention:
- Lastname-Character-Line01. EX: Snow-Kimona-01.mp3
If you do not use a reliable email, or mask your email, or make it so I cannot email you back, then you will be crossed out as a possible choice.
Can I use this piece for my portfolio?
Yes. If your talent is featured in this piece, you may use it, unaltered in any manner, in your portfolio as an example of your voice talent. It is your responsibility to keep your copy. I am not responsible to send you the finished piece again if you "lose" it or delete it.
Is this piece going to be for sale or posted anywhere?
The Libertas League will not be selling this piece. We only sell TLL -related stories and such. This story is not part of TLL. We will be posting it on our YouTube channel for forever free streaming for anyone, anywhere though!
Why is TLL doing this?
Why not? It will be a lot of fun and cool to listen to when it's done! Why would people not want to bring their imaginations to life? If you participate, it would be a good piece to put in your portfolio too.
The narrator who "introduces" the story at the beginning, for each scene, and sums the story up at the end. Doesn't matter your gender or accent of voice.
Kimona (Key-moh-nah) Hart:
The first resident was a girl of sixteen, on the brink of womanhood, thin of frame and petite of height, a girl who preferred black over white of anything regarding her surroundings and wardrobe. That is not to say that she disliked sunlight and nature, for indeed she greatly appreciated both, and every day, upon descending the stairs with a firm, resolute step, her hand clenched to the stair rail, she would first set a small cup of water to boil, then walk through the first floor rooms, opening the curtains to welcome nature's natural light.
16. Wears black continually. Enjoys solitude and doing her own thing as she wishes. Creature of extreme habit and drinks tea every morning at the same time. She also writes music. Easily annoyed and has a strong will. No example reference voice. However you think 16 year-old Goths sound, make it so.
... that woman of European lineage among dukes and countesses, old money and flaunted alabaster beauty. From her hair to her toes, she was sculpted and brushed and smoothed over with the most expensive and exquisite mixture of new fashion with elegant, ancient accents to create from her an image of a woman with hundreds of years of regal history to her name.
Looks to be late 30s. Falsely sugary-sweet. She married Kimona's father and acts like she's such a well-bred person who deserves only the best things and respect from everyone. Kimona despises her. The woman talks actively and sweetly and it's very artificial.
To that woman's side, her father stood, hands in his slacks pockets, smiling at her with some form of lopsided, uncertain twitch on his lips. Kimona narrowed her eyes at him, but so slightly that, as her natural parent, knowing her quirks and personality infinitely better than his wife ever would, only he noticed, raising an eyebrow at her.
39. He just wants everyone to get along. Successful oil baron and business man. Good sense of humor but often distracted.
There rose, to the lower left side of the music stand, a translucent white shape that took form and color slowly. She could see it was a white gloved hand, with the cuff of a thick coat showing just past the wrists. Past that, it faded into nothing. The skin that showed after the glove, inside the small part of broad cuff was displayed to her, was very pale. The cuff itself was a bold, rich red with large, round silver buttons. Past that, just slightly, she could see the sleeve was a light yet also rich blue color.
18. Colonial ancestor. He was a foot soldier in the American Revolutionary War and mysteriously disappeared shortly after his mother likewise disappeared when she was about to be burned at the stake for witchcraft. No voice or tone preference. However you think an 18 year-old male sounds (or if you are 18), make it so.
COVER "ART" COMMISSION PIECE
I'm looking for a points commission artist to make a piece for me with an Anime-style art slant. The piece I need done is going to be the "cover" for an audio drama I am producing and it should feature my female main character, Kimona Hart, standing next to a Colonial (~1750) / 18th century grand piano.
Here are the details for the piece:
- Time is 12 AM. Overhead light is on but it's a soft white light. Use your creative slant.
- Piano is black and polished. Bench is black to match. This model piano is appropriate but in black
- There is nothing in the room except the instrument.
- Window at the end of the room. Clear night. Add a moon if it looks good.
- Kimona is standing beside the piano. Her hand is on the top.
- Kimona is looking at the keys that are being played.
- Few music notes drawn coming from piano so viewer knows music is being played.
- Orientation of piano is up to you. Keys must be clearly in the picture.
- Kimona is a Classic Goth. Not a Lolita Goth. Think like this but use your own twist with that look as the focus
- I would require the piece be at least 1000x1000 pixels in dimension.
- No watermarks on the finished piece. Artist signature is fine.
- Medium you prefer is your choice.
The first resident was a girl of sixteen, on the brink of womanhood, thin of frame and petite of height, a girl who preferred black over white of anything regarding her surroundings and wardrobe. That is not to say that she disliked sunlight and nature, for indeed she greatly appreciated both, and every day, upon descending the stairs with a firm, resolute step, her hand clenched to the stair rail, she would first set a small cup of water to boil, then walk through the first floor rooms, opening the curtains to welcome nature's natural light. She lived in the stately house alone, much enjoying the solitude. She had her days planned with extreme monotony, as that she loved too. She never invited a soul into the house, and when she was out on errands or attending school, never associated with anyone.
Serious inquiries only please! Email, comment here, or message me on DeviantArt.
This story, all characters, and all specific creative elements produced Christina Roberts are copyrighted (c) 2012 - 2013 to Christina Roberts. All rights reserved. Creative elements used with permission are the copyrighted property of their respected artists and developers. This is not a public domain or Creative Commons licensed piece. This story is protected by the Berne Convention. No part of it may be reproduced, copied, modified, redistributed, or quoted in external sources for any purpose without the author's prior consent. Violating the copyright may result with you in a court of law. IP addresses are traceable.
By agreeing to voice act in this piece, you are transferring your copyright of your recorded voice for this piece to Christina Roberts. The audio drama does not belong to you and you hold no copyright of it because of your participation.